ABOUT POMONA COLLEGE AND PITZER COLLEGE: Pomona College and Pitzer College are members of the Claremont Colleges, a consortium of five undergraduate institutions and two graduate institutions in Claremont, CA. The 21 varsity Pomona-Pitzer Athletic teams comprise of students from both colleges, and compete in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) and the NCAA Division III.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsibilities include assisting the head coach with:
- organization of practice plans and on-court instruction and playing
- developing game-day strategies and tactical planning
- assessing and recruiting potential student-athletes
- scouting opponents and creating scouting reports for competition
- video breakdown, for team and player analysis
- Assist in preparation for running.direct tournament
- camp and clinics operations
- supporting player communication and feedback
- overseeing tennis equipment
- managing social media accounts
Assistant should be familiar with, and work to remain compliant with, college, SCIAC, and NCAA DIII rules and procedures. The department is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
ADDITIONAL DEPARTMENT DUTIES: Candidates may work up to 20 hours per week, at a rate of $16.50/hour with the following possibilities for additional duties beyond their assistant coach position:
- Serve as home contest manager
- Work alongside the Asst AD for Operations and Events
- Opportunities to work alongside athletics communications
- Assist with club sports
- Assist with oversight of the Athletic Performance Center
- Assist with the Center for Athletics, Recreation, and Wellness
- Serve on department committees
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience required; previous playing or coaching experience is required. Capacity to positively interact with and support a culturally, ethnically, economically, and socially diverse population of students, faculty and staff.
New employees are required to show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or request a Pomona College-approved medical or religious exemption on or before their first day of employment. If you are unable to do so, at the College’s sole discretion, it will work with you to reasonably adjust your start date. Please let Human Resources know if you are unable to provide proof of vaccination or want to request a religious or medical exemption before or on your first day of employment. Note that if you request a religious or medical exemption, it may delay your start date so that we can review and discuss your request.
REQUIRED HOURS: Must be available for extensive weekend and evening hours during the season. Travel will be required.
ADDITIONAL POSITION DETAILS: Temporary, part-time, non-exempt position. The hourly rate for this role is between $16.50. Hours will vary throughout the year and are negotiable within a range of 20-35 hours expected during the competitive season. The specific factors that the organization will consider when offering a salary to an individual will include education, training, prior experience, and performance in prior role.
All staff positions are ineligible for visa or permanent resident card sponsorship. As a California employer, Pomona College requires all employees to be residents of California.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Qualified applicants must submit the following materials: current cover letter, current resume, name and contact information for three professional references. Please submit these materials to Head Coach Mike Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pomona College prides itself in being an open, competitive, and equal opportunity employer.