Summary of the position:
The men’s tennis head coach and Co-director of the Scotford Tennis Center is responsible for all phases of running a competitive and life impacting men’s tennis program as well as working in collaboration with the head women’s tennis coach in running the day to day operations of the Scotford Tennis Center. Responsibilities include; recruiting, practice planning, match facilitation, fundraising, staff supervision, budgeting, scheduling and other administrative responsibilities necessary for a competitively successful and life impacting tennis program and efficient operation of the Tennis Center. Additionally, the coach will be expected to contribute to student mentoring, staff retreats, and university committees. The coach will work cooperatively across the Whitworth community to advance the mission of the University.
Head Coaching | 60%
- Plan, organize and execute a dynamic training program to develop and prepare players to maximize their potential and pursue excellence in athletic achievement
- Successfully facilitate all aspects of coaching a team in competition
- Foster the academic achievement and physical well-being of student-athletes
- Mentor and develop students both on and off the field
- Develop and implement a plan for the recruitment of qualified student-athletes
- Hire, supervise and evaluate assistant coaches
- Plan and manage team scheduling and travel arrangements
- Remain knowledgeable of and adhere to NCAA regulations
- Represent Whitworth at in the Northwest Conference and the NCAA
- Perform other duties commensurate with responsibilities of a college head coach
Budget Management | 10%
- Manage and maintain team budgets in line with University policies
- Order and maintain equipment for the men’s tennis team
Fundraising | 10%
- Plan and administer fundraising efforts on behalf of the men’s tennis program
Co-Directing of Scotford Tennis Center | 10%
- Oversee day to day operations of the tennis center including: scheduling, supervision, general maintenance, long term planning, tournament administration, staff supervision
Other | 10%
- Depending on the knowledge, skills, interests, and experience brought to this position by the candidate, additional responsibilities will be assigned that may include teaching courses and/or other administrative duties
Job knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to the academic and athletic success of the student athlete.
- Proven record of accomplishment in leading a highly successful tennis team or tennis instruction.
- Extensive knowledge of the sport of tennis.
- Understanding of NCAA compliance rules.
- Ability to recruit and retain quality tennis student athletes.
- Ability and willingness to work effectively in team atmosphere in the Athletics Department.
- Strong commitment to the University and the NCAA Division III philosophy.
- Master’s degree; bachelor’s degree and exceptional coaching experience may be considered in lieu of advanced degree.
- One to three years demonstrated successful coaching experience.
- College or University level experience
- A personal commitment to the Christian faith
- Demonstrated cultural competence, proven awareness of and experience to effectively establishing relationships and positive communications across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to, race, gender, varying abilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, class or religious perspectives
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff, faculty, alumni, fans, parents, and students.
- A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth University as a Christian liberal arts university.
- Valid driver’s license
- Compliance with Whitworth Campus Vehicle Policy
Additional Requirements: A background check and confirmation of degree earned will be required on the successful candidate. A resume, cover letter, faith statement, and name, email addresses, and phone numbers of a least three (3) professional references will also be required.
This position provides leadership and managerial oversight to assistant coaches and student workers.
For more details and to apply visit: