Rebecca Berger Provides Clincher in 4-3 Win for CMS Women’s Tennis over UC San Diego
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Sophomore Rebecca Berger won a lengthy match at No. 3 singles for the final point to break a 3-3 tie and give the CMS women’s tennis team a 4-3 win over Division II UC San Diego in a four and a half hour match on Sunday afternoon, completing a 4-0 opening weekend.
The win enabled the Athenas to come away with four wins in 48 hours against teams from all three divisions. The weekend began on Friday at home against Division I Idaho State, with CMS capturing a 6-1 win. On Saturday, CMS opened SCIAC play with two matches, defeating Caltech 6-3 in the first one and then breezing past Occidental 9-0 in the second one. The toughest test came on Sunday against the Tritons, who are ranked No. 18 in Division II while in transition to Division I, but with the score tied 3-3 and all other courts inactive, Berger came through with a 7-4 win in the third set tiebreaker over Valeria Corral to complete a 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 win and give the Athenas the clincher.
For complete story click here.
More NCAA D3 Women’s Tennis Updates
- Newcomers, old guard lead Tommie Women’s Tennis road win
- CMS Women’s Tennis Tested by Caltech in 6-3 Win in SCIAC Opener
- UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs defeat Whittier 8-1 to start spring season
- UChicago Men’s and Women’s Tennis Down Denison 8-1
- Oxy Women’s Tennis Takes Down Marymount
- Maroon Tennis Rolls Through DePauw
- CMS Women’s Tennis Opens Spring Schedule with 6-1 Win over Division I Idaho State
- Calvin Clips Cornerstone in Women’s Tennis Season Opener
- Chapman University women’s tennis looks to continue resurgence in 2019