Head Coach – Women’s Tennis
MAJOR PURPOSE: The purpose of the Head Coach – Women’s Tennis position is to develop Christ-centered excellence, to mentor and challenge student-athletes to grow spiritually (discipleship), academically, athletically, to provide opportunities for Christian service through the medium of tennis and to be consistently competitive at the championship level. This position is responsible for initiating, developing and leading all aspects of the Women’s Tennis program, such as recruiting, scheduling opponents, individual training, and coaching team members. This position provides support for specific internal operations for the athletic department and must abide by rules and regulations established by William Jessup University, the NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics) and the GSAC, (Golden State Athletic Conference).
- Provide Christ-like (biblical) leadership for the women’s tennis program and athletic department.
- Recruit and graduate student-athletes who maintain the standards of the university and department.
- Recruit, mentor and supervise assistant coach(s).
- Schedule practices, games, transportation/accommodations and travel itineraries for road games with the approval of the Athletic Director and in coordination with the Administrative Assistant to Athletics.
- Disciple and assist with character development of student-athletes.
- Plan and be involved in summer missions opportunities for student-athletes.
- Represent the University at conference and national meetings as assigned.
- Prepare and oversee program budget.
- Assist and provide fund raising efforts aimed to support of the Athletic Department as well as tennis program.
- Assist in the development of public relations with local constituencies aimed at gaining support for tennis as well as all athletic programs.
- Coordinate Athletic department sport camps including communication with coaches, calendar of camps, enforcement of standards, best practices, policies, procedures, and intra-departmental communication (HR, Business Office, etc.).
- Attend mandatory coaches and departmental meetings.
- Responsible for a variety of administrative support duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants must have a Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred); must demonstrate a minimum of three years serving as a successful head or assistant college coach at a NCAA Division I, II or III, NAIA or five years at a Junior College institution. Applicants must demonstrate a history of successful individual or team regional and/or national accolades. He/she must be an effective public speaker, positive/personable, and demonstrate successful recruitment and graduation of high academic achieving students, coordination or participation of community service and college engagement activities, and camps and clinics. The successful candidate must have the ability to market the great academic opportunities at William Jessup University and its affordability.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Master’s Degree, and additional studies/experiences preferred
- 2018 Women’s Tennis- Head Coach Job Description Page 1, Revised 6/29/18
- Knowledge of and committed to William Jessup University mission statement and philosophy, the NAIA, and conference rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the game of tennis.
- A minimum of 5 years coaching and recruiting experience at the college level or equivalent related experience.
- Experience supervising volunteers and staff and student workers.
- Requires a valid driver’s license and be eligible to drive on University-related business (i.e. to practices, games, etc. including transporting students) according to WJU insurance requirements.
- Exhibit and articulate a vibrant, personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills, proficiency in oral and written communication, public relations skills, and strong self-motivation characteristics.
Apply at http://jessup.edu/employment