Smith College, a nationally-ranked liberal arts college in Northampton, Massachusetts, is seeking a graduate assistant tennis coach starting in the Fall of 2020. Candidates must be accepted into Smith College’s Masters of Exercise and Sports Studies program. The masters program is dedicated to preparing its students to be head coaches of collegiate teams. Those who are accepted will take classes specific to the demands of being a collegiate head coach while also receiving mentorship and feedback in their role as the assistant tennis coach. Smith College competes in the NCAA Division III New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Playing and or coaching experience at the collegiate level.
- Ability to work irregular work hours including evenings and weekends.
- Commitment to working and teaching within a diverse environment that prioritizes the well-being and development of our student-athletes.
- A valid US driver’s license
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Player Development and Team Management:
- Assist in the planning and organization of practice. Will be responsible for running their own drills and activities in practice.
- Be involved with the planning and execution of team and individual meetings.
Game Day Management
- Facility set-up.
- Provide feedback regarding line-up decisions.
- Assist in game day planning and execution.
- Perform additional game day duties including, but not limited to arranging team meals, social media management, travel itineraries, and reporting scores.
- Create draws and direct tournaments as needed.
- Assist in the implementation of the recruiting strategy.
- Travel and work recruiting events.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with prospective student-athletes and their families.
- Effectively use FrontRush and other recruiting tools.
- Manage the teams social media platforms including Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Organize on-campus visits.
- Connect with Smith Tennis and Smith College alumnae.
- Do all aspects of the job while adhering to NCAA, NEWMAC, and Smith College rules.
- Be a contributing member of the Smith College Athletic Department.
- Be eager to learn, bring a positive attitude, and work while keeping our mission of providing the best student-athlete experience possible in mind.
Qualified candidates will receive a tuition reduction and work awards commensurate with their experience. Please reach out to head tennis coach, Caitlyn Lawrence, at [email protected] to learn more about compensation packages.
To apply please visit our website at https://www.smith.edu/academics/graduate-study/ess and fill in the request for information section. In addition, please email head tennis coach, Caitlyn Lawrence, at [email protected] regarding your interest.