ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Youth Tennis San Diego Board of Directors, the “CEO/GM” will assume responsibility for the strategic leadership, financial stewardship, operational management and growth of junior tennis in San Diego and specifically at the George E. Barnes Family Junior Tennis Center (Barnes).
The CEO’s responsibilities will include, although not be limited to, the leadership and management of Barnes, the following functions and the tasks within them:
Partnership, Sponsorship and Development
• Promote and develop junior tennis at Barnes and throughout San Diego County.
• Develop and execute programs (primarily but not exclusively aimed at juniors) to secure and fully develop the potential of quality partnering and sponsorship opportunities for Barnes, including private sector, foundations, public sector and individual prospects.
• Bring major tennis events to Barnes.
• Increase income generating sources.
Marketing, Communications and Brand Management
• Increase Barnes brand awareness in San Diego and make the Center a major player in the San Diego junior tennis community.
• Actively market Barnes, its activities/programs, resources and contributions to key stakeholders.
• Maintain an active profile in the broader tennis community on behalf of Barnes, including speaking engagements and media events and coverage.
Financial Resources and Management
• Develop annual operating budgets for Barnes to fund implementation of the annual operating plan and present it to the Board for approval.
• Increase the resources and funds available to the Barnes Center.
• Ensure that the assets of Barnes are properly safeguarded through the rigorous application of appropriate financial accounting and reporting systems, internal controls and risk management systems.
Organizational and Human Resources Management
• Ensure that Barnes Center staff appropriately reflects and represents its diverse stakeholder community.
• Supervise and oversee the Barnes Center volunteer committees and other volunteers. Oversee recruitment and continued development of the Barnes volunteer corps.
• Recruit, develop, and retain a forward leaning and exceptional team required to deliver on the mission and potential of Barnes.
• Ensure that Barnes is always in compliance with all relevant USTA, local, state and federal regulations, and the City’s Ground Lease and Conditional Use Permit.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Prospective candidates will have gained their professional experience in roles of increasing responsibility with for profit and/or non-profit organizations respected for the quality, consistency and dynamism of their leadership and management in the sports ecosystem, as well as their operational and financial performance. YTSD is seeking a demonstrated leader who can quickly become familiar with Barnes, as well as all the facets of the organization’s areas of influence and impact. Candidates considered for the role will possess the following leadership attributes and experience:
The successful candidate will have proven the ability to grow a business entity and/or transition one from an “old model” to new and place it on a sustainable growth trajectory. The Board of Directors is committed to reinvigorating, innovating and growing the organization, its assets and its influence on junior tennis in San Diego County. The right candidate will have:
• An understanding of and affinity for tennis, and the dynamics, influences, and challenges impacting the stakeholders that matter most to YTSD, the Southern California Tennis Association (SCTA), and other related organizations.
• Demonstrated success as a proactive executive, providing strong leadership and direction to a diverse set of stakeholders across a wide range of activities and markets.
• Demonstrated experience and acumen in fundraising.
• Demonstrated experience in working with a successful National Junior Tennis and Learning (NJTL) Excellence Program or managing grass roots, after school, or similar programs designed to assist the under privileged.
• Demonstrated the ability to foster teamwork and a collaborative style of management, with the Board and staff.
• The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse external constituents, other sector programs and business executives, professional and community groups, consultants, media representatives, and the public.
• Demonstrated success attracting, evaluating, mentoring, developing and retaining staff.
• Leadership and management acumen, a track record of empowerment and full development of staff and be a true delegator and partner.
• Superior interpersonal and communication skills, with the demonstrated capability to manage/communicate up, down and across organizations.
• Strong computer literacy/technology capabilities and user familiarity with various social media applications desired.
Prospective candidates will possess a strong academic background including an undergraduate degree. A graduate degree or equivalent, including appropriate professional certification(s), will be highly valued, but is not a requirement for consideration. Proficiency in multiple languages will be advantageous.
YTSD will offer the new CEO a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a base salary and performance bonus.
ABOUT YOUTH TENNIS SAN DIEGO (YTSD)
Youth Tennis San Diego is a nonprofit (501)(c)(3) organization whose purpose is to promote the educational, physical, and social development of all youth through organized tennis and educational activities. Our community programs encourage youth participation, personal integrity, leadership, and competitive spirit in a friendly environment that builds responsible citizens. Youth Tennis San Diego owns and operates the Barnes Tennis Center.
Point Loma Blvd. San Diego, CA 92107
To ensure full consideration for the position, please submit a cover letter, resume and a list of three references with phone numbers by Monday, March 9 to Tom Jacobs (email@example.com) , Sports Recruiting Co-Founder and Advisor of Snodgrass Partners, Inc. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.