PRIMARY PURPOSE OR RESPONSIBILITY:
Responsible for the general oversight, management and leadership of all aspects of the Men’s Tennis program at University of the Pacific. Duties include general management, coaching, recruiting, extensive public relations and other duties as assigned. On a day-to-day basis, the coach will be expected to work with the Service Administrator as assigned.
- Provides supervision and leadership to staff including recruiting and hiring staff, annual performance of staff, assisting in the development of staff job descriptions and performance criteria, providing recommendation for staff annual merit salary increases.
- Oversees coordination of team travel ensuring timely and cost-effective arrangements are made.
- Manages team budget, strategizes and forecasts budgetary needs, develops and recommends annual budget, approves expenses within assigned authority.
- Assesses needs, sets priorities for sport, and communicates to AD or Service Administrator annual goals or priorities.
- Assists in the development of long-range planning of program.
- Ensures student annual physicals are completed.
- Coordinates annual banquet and presentation of awards.
- Coordinates planning for and attends all practice sessions for the program. Ensures the implementation of sound teaching practices and team strategies. Responsible for all aspects of strategies (both individual and team).
- Monitors academic program of team’s student-athletes, and counsels’ students on problems ranging from academic through social when needed.
- Responsible for all aspects of student-athlete conduct during intercollegiate contests. Serves as a role model for Pacific students through personal display of honesty, integrity, energy and positive work habits.
- Refers student athletes to campus resources as needed.
- Collaborates with strength and conditioning staff on individual and team’s fitness training both in-season and out-of-season.
- Communicates with Athletic Training staff on student-athlete well-being both in-season and out-of-season.
- Ensures team athletes are knowledgeable of training and department regulations as they relate to participation in Pacific’s program.
- Leads in the strategizing, development and implementation of existing or new programs to increase, enhance and sustain interest in Pacific’s program.
- Attends fundraising and other alumni/booster functions as requested, represents University at conferences and other meetings as appropriate.
- Speaks on campus and at clinics as appropriate in a general effort to develop interest in Pacific.
- Works with Athletics Communications on materials and events to promote program, cultivates positive relations with members of the press and participates in TV and radio shows.
- Leads team’s recruiting efforts through developing and sustaining a network of contacts with coaches and others. Visits schools and families of prospective student-athletes.
- Oversees and manages recruiting efforts of coaching staff to maximize resource usage.
- Implements an aggressive program to acquaint self and assistant coaches with the rules and regulations of both NCAA and conference to insure prevention of inadvertent or deliberate rules violations. Directly responsible for all rules and compliance with the program.
- Communicates with Enrollment Services on matters of admission and financial aid awards; recommends changes if needed.
- Meets regularly with Athletic Director to communicate recruiting needs and keep updated recruiting priority list.
Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three to five years’ experience coaching sport at college or university level, or equivalent combination of education, experience and training
- CPR certification required by the end of the introductory period of appointment.
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Coaching, Sport Management, Kinesiology, or related field
- Five to seven years’ experience coaching sport at college or university level, or equivalent combination of education, experience and training.
- Head coaching experience at college or university level, or equivalent combination of education, experience and training
Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
• Ability to reflect and articulate goals of University and Department.
• Ability to anticipate and meet deadlines, ability to pre-plan for facility needs, travel and budget.
• Ability to organize, inspire and manage students and staff.
• Ability to anticipate problems, define solutions, and suggest improvements.
• Ability to set goals and amend as needed.
• Solid knowledge and understanding of NCAA and conference rules and regulations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of sport fundamentals and understanding of technical aspects of sport.
• Ability to manage discipline problems as they arise.
• Knowledge of and sensitivity to academic concerns of student-athletes.
• Ability to analyze team personnel needs and set specific recruiting objectives based on those needs.
• Ability to plan, organize and implement a sound recruiting strategy to achieve specific objectives.
• Demonstrated ability to identify, contact, and ultimately enroll talented and admissible student-athletes.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Requires ability to perform physical activities related to sport. Frequent time spent standing and walking. Occasional climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel
Work performed in standard office, gymnasium or athletic venues.
Requires flexibility in schedule to meet recruiting, game and event schedules.
Extensive travel required both national and international.
Valid driver’s license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the University’s fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
All candidates must formally apply through the link to be considered.