Universal Tennis is on a mission to make tennis more affordable, accessible and fun. Our proprietary Universal Tennis Rating (UTR) is the premier global rating system in tennis. The algorithm analyzes match results from more than a million players in 200+ countries to give each player an accurate rating. We are focused on bringing the tennis community closer together and seek to offer solutions for players of any skill level all over the world. Come to our website to learn more at www.myutr.com!
We’re now accepting applications for the Junior Data Analyst position! You’ll be joining the larger data science and analytics team and will primarily be focused on understanding the behavior of users on our platform. The ideal candidate is analytical, curious and detail oriented. This will be a cross-functional role with exposure to several aspects of the business: data science, sales, marketing, etc.
The Company is backed by some of the leading investors in tennis, sports, technology and media, including TEAM8, the creator and principal owner of Laver Cup and sports company founded by Roger Federer, Tony Godsick, Ian McKinnon and Dirk Ziff; Novak Djokovic, Tennis Channel; Larry Ellison (Co-founder and CTO of Oracle), Tennis Australia, and many others.
Check out some recent news on our company!
Novak Djokovic joins UTR as an investor and partner
UTR CEO Mark Leschly on Tennis Channel – Announcing Partnership
Tracy Austin explains what UTR is in a few sentences on Tennis Channel
TC at US Open: Mark Leschly talks TEAM8 and fall community platform launch
Sports Illustrated podcast: What Is Universal Tennis Rating? CEO Mark Leschly Explains the System with SI’s Jon Wertheim
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Expanding the reach and predictive power of the UTR algorithm
- Analyzing historical trends to predict player performance
- Support an exciting stand-alone pro tennis analytics product — operated and managed by data science team
- Custom reporting and analytics for sales, and marketing teams
- Proactively developing techniques to assist in ongoing fraud monitoring
- Continuously improve data quality as well as other testing and QA support
- Daily monitoring and tracking of the UTR Algorithms
- Cleaning and wrangling large datasets to extract meaningful and accurate insights
- BA/BS/MS in a quantitative field such as: mathematics, statistics, computer science, and/or economics
- 1+ years of experience either through relevant coursework, internships or real-world data science projects
- Excellent understanding of underlying statistical reasoning of frequentist vs Bayesian methods, as well as linear and logistic regression. Basic understanding of underlying assumptions of machine learning techniques (KNN, SVM, Decision Tree, Random Forest, etc…)
- Working knowledge of SQL (experience with tools like Looker, Tableau, or Periscope/Sisense a plus)
- Proficient in at least one of the following: Python (pandas, sklearn, scipy, matplotlib, seaborn) or R (dplyr, glm, lm, ggplot, tidyr)
- Experience building Python applications (Flask/Django) is a plus
- Ability to take charge, think critically, and move quickly in our fast-paced startup culture
- Passionate about tennis and sports analytics is a plus
The Company is headquartered in Palo Alto, CA. We offer a competitive compensation package with flexible working hours and vacation days, telecommuting, medical and dental, and a bunch of that other fun stuff that you’d expect from a tech start-up.