Requested Start Date: January 19, 2021
Normal Work Schedule: Varies depending on department need and team schedule
The Part-time Assistant Tennis Coach provides administrative, instructional, and recruiting support services under the direction of the head coach.
Employment in this position is contingent upon compliance with the rules and regulations of the University, the NCAA and Conference affiliation
- Assists the head coach in the day-to-day administration including planning practice sessions, conducting practice drills during workouts, supervising athlete weight training programs and skill development, as well as attending during home and away contests.
- Prepares, plans, conducts, and evaluates practice sessions, as directed.
- Teaches advanced level skills and game strategies.
- Instructs individuals and groups of players specific tasks and skills before, during and after practice, during season and off-season.
- Teaches player-to-player defense and offense, progressions, and drills during daily practice time.
- Scouts future opponents by film, watching games, and/or telephone reports. Retrieves video tapes of future opponents to develop scouting reports to provide consultation and expert advice to head coach and team members.
- Recruits student athletes in assigned territory. Negotiates scholarship offers with prospects as authorized.
- Exhibits good judgment in advising and counseling student athletes about academics and athletics issues. Serves as a mentor to help athletes resolve academic and non-academic issues.
- Exhibits leadership, professional behavior, and tact when dealing with student athletes, parents, administration, and University staff.
- Assists in coordinating and overseeing campus visits by prospective athletes.
- Adheres to the NCAA ethics and conduct requirements. Refers to NCAA, Conference and University manuals, policies, and procedures.
- Contributes to the maintenance of good working relationships with all athletic staff members and student-athletes through a positive and constructive approach to all tasks, respect for the competencies of others, and appropriate conflict resolution behavior.
- Identifies and participates in resolution of departmental/institutional problems.
- Maintains contact with University staff, University faculty, students, alumni, vendors, civic organizations or groups, other universities, and other organizations.
- Travels for recruiting, contests, and speaking arrangements.
- Performs related duties as required.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree,
- minimum two (2) years’ experience as an athlete, coach or athletic administrator
- Cover Letter