From Playground to Podium:
As an organisation the ITF has a significant influence in tennis. We are involved in everything from inspiring grassroots initiatives to elite international competitions and all that falls in between. We have a touchpoint at every stage of a player’s career across all levels and formats of tennis. From grassroots campaigns to the Davis and Billie Jean King Cup podium, the ITF is engaged and committed to delivering tennis for future generations
Department: Tennis Development Department
Title: Head, Performance & Events, Tennis Development
Reporting to: Executive Director, Tennis Development
Location: Roehampton, London SW15 with overseas travel
The Tennis Development Department
The Development Department (the Department) is responsible for increasing the quality of, and participation in, tennis in the ITF’s member National Associations (NA’s) and Regional Associations (RA’s) from the first introduction to the sport up to, and including, the transition from junior to professional status. This responsibility is encapsulated in the mission of the Department: to increase the number and standard of players worldwide. Pursuit of this mission is defined in terms of two objectives:
1. To increase participation in tennis worldwide for all ages, genders, playing standards and physical abilities.
2. To develop talented players, particularly those from nations that are both under-resourced and under-represented.
The activities of the Department rest on six pillars: Performance, Events; Facilities (including training centres); Education; Participation and Administration & Resources. The Department in coordination with the six RA’s provides an appropriate combination of services in these areas to NA’s and their affiliated clubs and members through close cooperation and collaboration. In addition, the Department works closely with the ITF Professional Tennis and Circuits Department.
The Head, Performance & Events is responsible for implementing the ITF development strategy for the area relating to Performance, Events and Facilities of our training centres.
Preparation and Planning
- Reviewing guidelines for the programmes within the Performance, Facility and Events area and ensure that the information is effective and is communicated to the stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Reviewing the current reporting process and agreeing the any revisions in terms of process, content and timings of areas where key reporting is required and devising a process to ensure deadlines are met and reporting is clear, concise and of practical use.
- Being the main point of contact for NA’s and RA’s (our key stakeholders) within Performance, Facility & Events.
- Preparing for and attending external meetings as requested by the Director of Development.
Steering the Strategic Areas and Programmes
- Reviewing, refining and proposing departmental strategy in these areas.
- Proposing updating and reviewing the ITF player development pathways (international and regionals) and making recommendations as appropriate.
- Working closely with the RA’s to ensure the optimization of the investment on 12/14/16 & circuits tournaments and team events funded by the ITF/Grand Slam Development Fund (GSDF) Development program.
- Reviewing and managing the GSDF international and regional touring team program and ITF National Training Centres recognition & support program plus the GSDF and ITF professional tournament grants program and player grant program.
- Reviewing current practices and processes implementing new ideas and innovation with regard to digital transformation and technology.
Managing the Team
The Head is responsible for a team of 3 staff including the Technical Director of our Training Centres. The Head is also responsible for managing the people and associated administration of the 10 ITF Development Officers working around the world. Along with the Director and the Head of Participation & Education, the Head will provide the Development Officers with direction and support to achieve their objectives.
- Assisting with the development of the team ensuring the required standards of performance are met plus supporting the continuing personal and professional development of all team members.
- Providing leadership and effective management to direct reports in order to achieve the objectives of the department and the organization
- Plan for the development and succession in the team
Monitoring and Measuring the Return on Investment (ROI)
- Managing the budget relating to the Performance, Facility & Events area.
- Monitoring, measuring, assessing and reporting on the ROI.
- Providing analytics and evidence against Key Performance Indicators agreed and set in liaison with the Development Director.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a significant experience and a deep and extensive understanding and knowledge of managing performance in tennis
- Significant experience in delivering performance programs and projects in sport
- Solid experience and a proven track record in leading a team effectively
- Have the ability to represent the ITF externally and network accordingly
- Possess excellent presentation skills
- Have excellent communication and people skills, including being fluent in English, French and/or Spanish (additional languages an advantage but not necessary)
- Be proficient in all Microsoft packages
- Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Be proactive, have the ability to work on own initiative and under pressure
- Be diplomatic, a team player
- Be flexible – the role is based in the UK at the ITF Headquarters but comes with worldwide travel often for extended periods and over weekends
What we offer….
- Excellent salary plus discretionary bonus scheme
- Lunch is provided by the ITF (up to £8 per day)
- 25 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays
- Private Healthcare
- Group personal pension scheme / Life assurance
- Ride2Work Scheme (in conjunction with Evans Cycles)
- Free parking on site
- Core 35 hour working week from Mon – Fri with flexible start and end times (although weekend work and longer hours are a part of the role when travelling)
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond individually to candidates, therefore only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please note that interviews may be conducted via video call.
Our offices are set up to be Covid-compliant in accordance with Government guidelines. A full risk assessment has been carried out and is available on our website.
This job specification should not be deemed a complete and definitive description of the job requirements. Responsibilities may be expanded or reduced at any time as deemed appropriate by management.