This position in the Athletic Department reports to the Head Tennis Coach and is responsible for performing the duties and requirements of the assistant coach for the men’s and women’s tennis programs, as well as working in cooperation and coordination with others in Athletics to achieve the departmental and strategic goals. In addition, this person must be committed to the University’s Marianist Mission of education.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teaches and instructs the technical and motivational aspects of the sport of tennis to the student-athletes.
- Develops training plans and game plans; Assists in developing, coordinating and supervising practice and training of student-athletes in tennis.
- Recruits student-athletes to play tennis who can be successful academically, athletically and socially at St. Mary’s University.
- Supports the development of each student-athlete spiritually, academically, physically and socially.
- Assists with the preparation, evaluation, and maintenance of all administrative and certification data for each athlete in tennis, including the scheduling of matches, practices, and academic counseling of each student.
- Assists in development and maintenance of a budget for tennis; Assists with raising funds to enhance the tennis budget.
- Responsible for stringing student-athletes racquets.
- Observes all St. Mary’s University, Lone Star Conference, and NCAA policies and requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience coaching and/or playing tennis at the college level preferred.
- Requires excellent speaking, writing and basic computer skills. Ability to articulate ideas and strategies. Must be self-motivated.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license, motor vehicle liability insurance and personal injury insurance, and complete the University Van Driver Training within 90 days of employment date.
- Must clear and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance
- Must be able to work flexible hours including sporting and non-sporting events that may occur on weeknights, weekends, and possibly holidays; Travel is required.
- Basic computer skills are required.
- Good interpersonal skills are also needed for interacting with university departments, students and prospective student-athletes; Requires excellent speaking and writing skills.
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing this role, the employee will be regularly required to sit, walk, and stand; talk and hear, both in person and by telephone; and use hands repetitively to operate standard office equipment; and occasionally required to lift up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Do not contact Head Coach. Interested persons should apply at https://stmarytx.applicantpro.com/internaljobs/1748570.html