JOB TITLE: Head Coach – Men’s & Women’s Tennis
SUPERVISOR: Athletic Director
FLSA STATUS: Full time, 11 Month, Non-Exempt
The purpose of the Head Coach – Men’s and Women’s Tennis position is to develop Christ-centered excellence, to mentor and challenge student-athletes to grow spiritually (discipleship), academically, athletically, to provide opportunities for Christian service through the medium of tennis and to be consistently competitive at the championship level. This position is responsible for initiating, developing and leading all aspects of the Tennis program, such as recruiting, scheduling opponents, individual training, and coaching team members. This position provides support for specific internal operations for the athletic department and must abide by rules and regulations established by William Jessup University, the NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics) and the GSAC, (Golden State Athletic Conference).
1. Provide Christ-like (biblical) leadership for the tennis program and athletic department.
2. Recruit and graduate student-athletes who maintain the standards of the university and department. 3. Recruit, mentor and supervise assistant coach(s).
4. Schedule practices, games, transportation/accommodations and travel itineraries for road games with the approval of the Athletic Director and in coordination with the Administrative Assistant to Athletics.
5. Disciple and assist with character development of student-athletes.
6. Plan and be involved in summer missions opportunities for student-athletes.
7. Represent the University at conference and national meetings as assigned.
8. Prepare and oversee the program budget.
9. Assist and provide fund raising efforts aimed to support the Athletic Department as well as tennis program. 10. Assist in the development of public relations with local constituencies aimed at gaining support for tennis as well as all athletic programs.
11. Coordinate Athletic department sport camps including communication with coaches, calendar of camps, enforcement of standards, best practices, policies, procedures, and intra-departmental communication (HR, Business Office, etc.).
12. Attend mandatory coaches and departmental meetings.
13. Responsible for a variety of administrative support duties as assigned by the Athletic Director. 14. Complete other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants must have a Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred); must demonstrate a minimum of three years serving as a successful head or assistant college coach at a NCAA Division I, II or III, NAIA or five years at a Junior College institution. Applicants must demonstrate a history of successful individual or team regional and/or national accolades. He/she must be an effective public speaker, positive/personable, and demonstrate successful recruitment and graduation of high academic achieving students, coordination or participation of community service and college engagement activities, and camps and clinics. The successful candidate must have the ability to market the great academic opportunities at William Jessup University and its affordability.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Master’s Degree, and additional studies/experiences preferred
- Knowledge of and committed to William Jessup University mission statement and philosophy, the NAIA, and conference rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the game of tennis.
- A minimum of 5 years coaching and recruiting experience at the college level or equivalent related experience. ● Experience supervising volunteers and staff and student workers.
- Requires a valid driver’s license and is eligible to drive on University-related business (i.e. to practices, games, etc. including transporting students) according to WJU insurance requirements.
- Exhibit and articulate a vibrant, personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills, proficiency in oral and written communication, public relations skills, and strong self-motivation characteristics.
The employee agrees to promote the values and mission of WJU as a private Christ-centered University and live a life consistent with biblical principles. The employee shall conduct himself/herself in a manner consistent with the Community Covenant and Statement of Faith. Additionally, the employee may play a formative role in the spiritual lives of students in a manner consistent with the Community Covenant and Statement of Faith. This may include leading devotions and/or spiritual formation groups and seeking other opportunities consistent with a biblical spiritual formation role.
Much of the employee’s working time will be spent outdoors on sports fields in all types of weather and might require standing for long periods, working with equipment or machinery and, being able to walk, run, kneel, crouch, stoop or crawl. Travel may be required for this position.
PHYSICALACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and frequently required to stand for long periods of time, walk, sit, and use hands to handle files, computers, and phones; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel. Frequent and regular repetitive movements required using the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The employee will occasionally lift large objects and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The above statements and job description is intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed within this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and tasks. Other similar or additional duties are to be performed or assigned. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. William Jessup University maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees may be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
I acknowledge I have reviewed the content of this job description and understand that if I have any physical limitations or require any reasonable accommodations in order to perform my job, I must immediately inform administration.
To Apply, visit jessup.edu/employment and submit a complete application packet.