Closes: May 9, 2021 – 11:59 PM EDT
Location: Wooster, OH
About The College of Wooster:
Wooster offers an excellent, comprehensive liberal arts education, culminating in a rigorous senior project, in which each student works one-on-one with a faculty mentor to conceive, organize and complete a significant research project on a topic of the student’s own choosing. Through this distinctive program, every Wooster student develops abilities valued by employers and graduate schools alike: independent judgment, analytical ability, creativity, project-management and time-management skills, and strong written and oral communication skills. Founded in 1866, the college enrolls approximately 2,000 students.
The College offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes: Health, Dental, Retirement, and Tuition Remission
The College of Wooster is seeking a Men’s Tennis Head Coach. This position serves the Department of Athletics and Physical Education in the Division of Academic Affairs. The position reports to the Director of Athletics and supports the mission of the College in its focus on preparing students to become leaders of character and influence in and interdependent global community. This is a ten (10) month benefits eligible position that includes morning, evening, and weekend responsibilities.
The Head Men’s Tennis Coach is responsible for all phases of the NCAA D-III Men’s Tennis program in accordance and compliance with NCAA, North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and The College of Wooster policies and regulations. Leadership and management of the Men’s Tennis program includes coaching, scouting, recruiting, instructing, strength training and conditioning, arranging travel, managing budgets, tracking equipment and developing alumni contacts. The head coach will also have a teaching assignment in the Physical Education minor. Additional responsibilities will be assigned in areas such as game management, committee work, and administration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, and direct all team training and conditioning activities and contest schedule at a level that will maintain the Men’s Tennis program’s position of competitive leadership in the North Coast Athletic Conference and the NCAA Division III.
- In partnership with the Office of Admissions, recruit academically and athletically strong applicants for the selective and competitive applicant pool at The College of Wooster.
- Manage administrative operations including budget management, coordinating team travel, room reservations, meals, and working with the purchasing manager to order equipment and supplies.
- In partnership with the Office of Advancement, develop and maintain a strong alumni and parent support system.
- In partnership with the Office of Athletic Communications, maintain team statistical records and establish a strong social media platform.
- Stay up-to-date with sport and coaching best practices in order to provide opportunities for all involved in the program to become students of the game by sharing knowledge of the sport.
- Work with Aspen Racquet Club for scheduling of indoor practice and competition space.
- Collaborate with College of Wooster Women’s Tennis program.
- Participate in the NCAC governance for Tennis at coaches meetings.
- All coaches may be assigned additional duties in the area of teaching, and facility and game management. These responsibilities are determined annually by the Chair of Physical Education, Event Manager, Facility Manager, and Director (Associate Director) of Athletics and Physical Education.
- Serve as an active member of the athletic department’s team, responsible for providing leadership, goals, and program implementation to our nearly 2,000 undergraduate students.
- Develop and maintain mutually supportive and collaborative working relationships with student affairs colleagues, faculty, and other campus partners to accomplish shared objectives and tasks.
- Lead and assist with designated departmental, divisional, and/or College committees, initiatives and processes.
- Develop meaningful connections with students, staff and faculty by being available and visible on campus.
- Engage team members in community service activities.
- Assist with special projects and duties, as needed.
- Demonstrate a commitment to and compliance with the College’s and Department of Athletics and Physical Education policies and procedures as well as the NCAC and NCAA constitutions, bylaws, legislation and regulations.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the priorities and ideals of The College of Wooster and the Department of Athletics and Physical Education.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Three to five years related experience highlighting a successful record of coaching and recruiting at the intercollegiate level.
- Knowledge of NCAA regulations and guidelines governing the recruitment and retention of student-athletes.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED Certification is required (can be completed after hire).
The College of Wooster does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex/gender, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, political affiliation, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, disability, age, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy, or by state, local, or federal law. All offers of employment are subject to verification of the legal right to work in the United States as required by federal law. The College of Wooster is committed by policy and practice to diversity, equity and inclusion. For more information on our nondiscrimination policy visit: https://www.wooster.edu/info/nondiscrimination
For highest consideration please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 professional references which includes name, telephone number and email address.