About Augustana College:
Augustana College is a private, selective, residential college of the liberal arts and sciences with enrollment of 2600 students. Our beautiful residential 115-acre campus is located in Rock Island, Illinois, part of the Quad Cities metropolitan area along the Mississippi River, 165 miles west of Chicago. Augustana awards the Bachelor of Arts in about 90 majors and related academic programs. Augustana is recognized for the innovative program Augie Choice, which provides each student up to $2,000 to pursue a high-impact learning experience such as study abroad, an internship or research with a professor. Current students and alumni include 176 Academic All-Americans, a Nobel laureate, 13 college presidents and other distinguished leaders.
Competing in the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW), about 1/3 of the Augustana student population competes in one of 26 varsity sports. When it comes to Academic All-Americans, Augustana is # 1 in our conference and # 7 in all NCAA divisions, a testament to our commitment to success in the classroom as well as the playing field.
Job Title: Head Men’s & Women’s Tennis Coach
Revised: May 2021
Overview: The Head Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach is responsible for the overall management of the program including coaching, recruitment and retention of student-athletes, scheduling and budget management, equipment ordering, viable fundraising, public relations and other duties as assigned.
Status: Exempt, Full-time, 10 Month Schedule
Reports To: Athletic Director
Supervises: Part-time coaching assistant(s) and student workers
- Responsible for creating an overall positive and successful environment for the student-athletes of the men’s and women’s tennis program.
- Provide oversight and evaluation of the daily progress of the team including strength training, conditioning, and student-athlete academic, personal and athletic development.
- Plan, conduct and evaluate practice activities for men’s and women’s tennis team members.
- Provide group and individual assistance in a manner that engages the athletes and builds commitment to the program.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Augustana staff to integrate efforts and create program success.
- Assist other staff members with activities as needed to reach the overall goals of the Augustana athletic department.
- Meet with prospective students and their family members both on campus and at remote locations as possible.
- Provide advice and counsel on the admissions process, the Augustana experience and the integral role of the student-athlete in overall campus life.
- Hire and oversee part-time coaching assistants and student workers as needed to assist with the program and competition-related activities.
- Provide feedback–both positive and negative–on work products and outcomes.
- Order equipment and supplies and manage operating budget for the program.
- Complete auxiliary assignments including teaching physical education activity classes during the academic year.
- Actively participate in department and college-wide meetings and events, and adapt work as required to meet overall campus goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
Experience & Skills:
- Three or more years of previous coaching experience, preferably at the collegiate level.
- Previous head coaching experience preferred.
- A demonstrated understanding of the NCAA Division III environment, requirements, and accountability, with previous coaching or playing experience in a similar setting highly preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to relate to a diverse group of students, athletes, coaches and campus community members.
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills.
- Must have a thorough understanding of and accountability to NCAA and CCIW rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to the academic and athletic success of the student-athlete.
Must be able to lift 50 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Exposure to outside weather and extreme temperatures is occasionally required. Long work days, particularly during the recruiting and competition season on a frequent basis.
Special Requirements: As key personnel representing the College, this position requires excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to relate to a diverse population, and the ability and willingness to model the mission and high standard of behavior of Augustana College.
Successful candidates must pass a criminal background check and have a valid drivers’ license with the ability to be insured by the college.
Augustana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is Augustana College’s policy to provide equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability and any other category protected by federal, state or local law.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume for consideration along with contact information for three professional references.