The Assistant Coach is responsible for coaching the program under the supervision and guidance of the Head Coach. The Assistant Coach will perform his/her duties in strict adherence to the rules and policies of the University, the Pacific West Conference and the NCAA. The position requires ability to travel with the team and work on weekends and evenings. In addition, the Assistant Coach must maintain collaborative working relationships with administrators and coaches in the Athletics Department, other college offices, and appropriate relationships with members of the media, donors, and other individuals interested in the sports program.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year collegiate institution
- 2 years of tennis coaching experience with successful recruiting and competitive track record, or 2 years of tennis playing experience at collegiate level.
- Master’s Degree
- Demonstrated commitment to rules/policy compliance and a commitment to student-athlete success both academically and athletically
- 3+ years of tennis coaching experience
- Knowledge of the NCAA Division II rules
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Visa sponsorship and relocation allowance is not available for this position.
- Report to work obligations to support the department and may require work during HPU’s winter break, if necessary.
- Must meet training and background check qualifications and comply with the Protection of Minors policy.
- Upon hire, candidate must have reliable personal transportation to facilitate travel between to all HPU worksites and other locations as required by the position. This includes a valid driver’s license and a personal vehicle that is legally registered and insured.
- Able to work all shifts and extended hours.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment that utilize excellent time and stress management skills.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
1. Develop and administer a successful sports program (80%):
- Assist the Head Coach with coaching of the team
- Assist the Head Coach with recruiting and student-athlete/player development
- Assist the Head Coach with scheduling and organizing practice and contests in accordance with applicable Pacific West Conference and NCAA regulations.
- Attend and coach all games and practices as directed by the Head Coach.
- Assist the Head Coach with making travel/transportation arrangements.
- Keeping abreast and ensuring compliance with the Pacific West Conference and NCAA regulations while maintaining highest ethical standards of conduct.
- Perform all responsibilities relevant to a successful program as assigned by the Head Coach.
2. Fundraising and Team Management: (15%)
- Assist with organizing and implementing programcommunity service initiatives.
- Act as team/program manager for fundraising initiatives
- Marketing manager for team, including all social media platforms
- Assist Head coach with expense and budget management
- Manage travel itineraries, practice/match schedules, study hall, and team needs
3. Performs other related duties as assigned (5%)
- Actively participates as an effective member of team by completing assigned duties, accepting additional assignments or reassignments.
- Assists with seasonal peaks.
This description is not designed to list all activities, duties or responsibilities which may be required for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned at any time.
Hawai’i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which faculty and staff can excel irrespective of ethnicity, gender, faith, age, color, disability or genetic information. Hawai’i Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A post-job-offer, pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.