Title: Graduate Assistant Coach – Women’s Tennis (Position begins in January 2022)
Unit: Intercollegiate Athletics
Supervisor: Head Women’s Tennis Coach
Part I. JOB INFORMATION
Assist head coach in the organization, management, and coaching/teaching of a major (DI) university women’s tennis team in conjunction with other departmental responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities (essential functions)
- Provide an overall positive educational environment for our student-athletes conducive to learning, athletic development, social growth, and preparing them for life beyond college. Assist in the supervision, in conjunction with the athletic tutoring and advising program, the total academic progress of the team. 20%
- Teach/coach students to improve physical, social and intellectual behavior to include one-on-one coaching on various tennis techniques. Administer and evaluate team physical talent through quality coaching and teaching team-work principles. Plan and administer training sessions for team members. 30%
- Be responsible for the development, safety, and conduct of the team. Participate and coach in various tournaments. Evaluate the performance of every women’s tennis student-athlete and prepare performance records to be discussed with the head coach. Provide feedback to the team members and also provide positive suggestions and demonstration of tennis techniques which will help to improve their performance on the court. 20%
- Recruit tennis players and collaborate with University Admissions and/or International Office to aid in enrollment/retention of tennis student-athletes. 10%
- Maintain and evaluate all of equipment inventories and provide regular updates. Manage student tennis team and maintain entire equipment and facilities used by team members. 10%
- Perform both direct and indirect public relations functions including promotion, fund raising, community instruction/coaching of tennis techniques through camps and/or clinics. 15%
- Cash handling responsibilities – $5,000 – $10,000 annually. Assist with departmental needs as requested. When practical under the circumstances, intercollegiate athletic staff are encouraged to voluntarily attend all athletic events to promote audience participation and support for NIU team efforts. Have a thorough knowledge of NCAA, conference and institutional rules and conduct the program within the regulations. 5%
As a staff member within the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) regulations, both those general in nature and those which apply directly to your position’s responsibilities. Strict adherence to all applicable governing policies, procedures, and regulations of the NCAA is required and is a condition of your employment.
Part II. POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Ability to demonstrate tennis skills, game and training strategies plus teaching progressions.
- Ability to recruit and retain quality student-athletes including knowledge of junior clubs and high school programs.
- Ability to effectively communicate through oral, written and electronic forms.
Successful competitive experience in tennis on the university or college level.
This is a 9 month contract renewable annually. Must be admitted to a NIU graduate program. Please send resume, cover letter and three professional references to Eric Burns-Head Women’s Tennis Coach at firstname.lastname@example.org