The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics staff consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in various sports events annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Men’s Tennis Head Coach.
Description of Position:
The Head Coach is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Men’s Tennis program and leading our student-athletes to exceptional heights on a national and world-class level in competition, in the classroom, and in the community. This includes coaching and developing student-athletes in a high performance culture, recruiting the next generation of Golden Bears, leading and mentoring an assistant coach, meeting and exceeding annual fundraising targets, implementing innovative match management ideas, and utilizing highly organized administrative and budget management techniques. The Men’s Tennis Head Coach will be an inspiring leader, have a record of unparalleled integrity, display the ability to communicate a strategic vision of building on the past successes of the program to a variety of stakeholders, and usher in a competitive brand of tennis.
- Coaches team at practices and competitive events.
- Assumes responsibility for building a nationally competitive Division I program through successful recruiting and retention of high-level student-athletes.
- Collaborates with Assistant Coach, Athletic Performance Coach, and Athletic Trainers to design both academic year (in season and out-of-season) and summer conditioning programs.
- Responsible for fiscal responsibility of the program, including annual operating budget, expense reconciliation, and purchasing. Operates program within the department approved budget guidelines.
- In conjunction with various units within the athletic department, participates in donor meetings, events, and public relations activities.
- Work with Athletic Study Center to monitor both individual and team academic performance to ensure student-athletes can excel.
- Serve as key liaison to the broader Cal Tennis community, engaging in alumni relations, fundraising and other key stakeholder activities.
- Must have highly advanced and effective interpersonal, motivational, and team leadership skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate creativity, sound judgment and decision-making, be an effective problem solver, and communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must be recognized expert in individual sport, team sport, and coaching principles for student-athletes.
- Must have supervisory and leadership skills to mentor and develop assistant coaching or program instruction staff.
- Proven track record of operating with integrity and within NCAA and conference regulations
- Collegiate level coaching experience, preferably at the Division I level.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training/experience.
- Must maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and regulations of the Pacific-12 Conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
Salary & Benefits: Commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://hr.berkeley.edu/compensation-benefits/benefits
For more information on our department, please visit www.calbears.com. The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and list of three references submitted as a single attachment with your application to Jay Larson at email@example.com, with the subject title “Men’s Tennis Head Coach Application”.