Job Category: Occasional
Exempt Overtime Eligible: Overtime Eligible
Benefits Eligible: Non-Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world’s brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community. The intercollegiate athletic program is an integral part of the student experience for 25% of the Caltech undergraduate student body; a strong D3 program on the move!
The Assistant Tennis Coach, Men’s and Women’s Tennis is responsible for assisting in the coaching and teaching of students, game and practice preparation and execution, program administration in compliance with NCAA, and conference rules/regulations as well as all Institute policies and procedures. Applicants should be able to assist with both men’s and women’s collegiate tennis. This is an occasional position.. Starting date is as soon as possible.
- Demonstrating a high level of teaching and coaching competency in sport skill instruction, sport strategy, tactics and rules, physical training and fitness and student motivation in practice execution.
- Demonstrating a sincere interest in the social, emotional, academic development, as well as the athletic welfare of student-athletes; collaborating on academic monitoring and guidance of students where appropriate.
- Assisting with team logistics for practice and contests including but not limited to transportation and meals.
- Exhibiting the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to the NCAA, SCIAC Conference, Caltech and the Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation’s values statement, including sportsmanship on and off the field of play, positive leadership and the desire and ability to act as a positive role model and representative of the Institute at all times.
- Contributing to the maintenance of excellent working relationships with all members of the Department and promoting the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program on and off campus.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be knowledgeable and skilled in all areas of the sport in order to demonstrate and participate in practice sessions as needed.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and organizational skills including writing, speaking, listening, and record keeping.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, including professionalism, empathy, and responsibility.
- Associate of Arts (AA) degree.
- Must maintain a valid California driver license during employment.
- Must possess or immediately certify for CPR, AED, and Safety/First Aid
- Knowledge of SCIAC & NCAA rules and regulations; must pass NCAA D3 rules test, annually.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Each coaching staff member may be required to perform physical tasks such as:
- Lifting, carrying, loading sport specific equipment up to 50lbs.
- Set up and tear down of sports practice and contest support equipment.
- Some care and maintenance of sport specific or general athletic facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree and two or more years of relevant experience.
- Collegiate playing experience preferred.
- Organized coaching experience preferred.
- Teaching through digital images.
- Cover Letter
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://hr.caltech.edu/work/job_openings
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.