Washington College, a private liberal arts and sciences college in Chestertown, Maryland serving about 1,100 undergraduate students through emphasizing excellence in teaching and a commitment to scholarly research, seeks employees committed to advancing inclusion and equity and to cultivating a community that welcomes all people, regardless of race, gender, disability, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender expression. Of special interest are candidates who can further the College’s efforts to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. The College is located on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, about 1.5 hours from Washington, Baltimore, and Philadelphia. For more information about the College, please consult the college’s website (www.washcoll.edu) and view the college’s diversity statement (https://www.washcoll.edu/people_departments/offices/president/diversitystatement.php).
Head Coach Men’s and Women’s Tennis/ Coordinator of Schottland Tennis Center
Plans, organizes, and administers all aspects of the varsity men’s and women’s tennis programs with the approval of the Director of Athletics. Coordinates the security, supervision, and scheduling of the Schottland Tennis Center.
- Organizes and conducts all practice sessions for the tennis team
- Recruits student-athletes for the tennis program
- Manages budget for tennis program, making requests for major purchases through the Director of Athletics
- Ensures institutional compliance of tennis program by adhering to all policies and procedures of the NCAA and Centennial Conference
- Monitors academic progress of tennis players through advising and referrals
- Works with Director of Athletic Communications regarding brochures and media relations for the tennis program
- Develops and maintains working relationship with other college departments, including admissions, student affairs, and the dining hall
- Supervises the duties of assistant coaches
- Attends clinics whenever possible
- Responsible for developing training rules and monitoring the conduct of athletes when they are representing Washington College, both on and off campus
- Recommends athletes for awards
- Coordinates the scheduling, providing of officials and transportation for intercollegiate contests with the Director of Athletics
- Develops and recommends budget data; authorizes expenditures in accordance with approved budget; approves budgets and expenses of subordinates. Orders equipment for annual use by the men’s and women’s tennis teams, disburses funds for meals on athletic trips and serves as supervisor for all varsity tennis functions
- Attends all Centennial Conference tennis meetings
- Works with training staff to ensure that all athletes are medically cleared to participate
- Works with athletic department office to ensure that all athletes meet NCAA eligibility requirements
- Responsible for the coordination of the security and maintenance of Schottland Tennis Center and reports concerns to the Director of Athletics
- Responsible for supervision of the Schottland Tennis Center and courts
- Develops the schedule for Schottland Tennis Center for fall, winter, spring and summer according to priority system, balancing intercollegiate sports, intramural programs, open recreation, and summer conferences
- Aids in the fundraising for the tennis program
Performs related duties incidental to the work described herein or as may be assigned by the Athletic Director.
- Oversees the activities and conduct of team members while they are representing Washington College
- Acts within scope of authority and consistent with College objectives, guidelines, policies, and practices.
- For Assistant Coaching staff:
- Develops short and long range operating objectives, reviews existing organizational structure and staffing requirements, and recommends and implements changes as needed
- Provides appropriate supervision, including communication of clearly defined job responsibilities, adequate training and development, and provision for backup
- Monitors performance of staff and provides prompt and objective coaching and counseling in managerial and technical matters.
- Reviews and approves performance appraisals initiated by subordinates of their staff.
- Evaluates subordinates
- Assures that effective communications are maintained within areas of responsibility.
- Where appropriate, informs staff as to plans and progress.
- Conducts staff discussion sessions at regular and frequent intervals
- Assures that necessary coordination within the area of responsibility is occurring and that coordination of the assigned area with those of other College departments is taking place
- Trains and supervises work study students
Qualifications (Education, Skills and Experience):
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Previous coaching experience on the high school, club, or college level in tennis.
- Working knowledge of computers, including word processing and database software
- Facility management experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- High energy level
- Desire to work with young adults
- Ability to effectively promote the college and athletic experience
- Willingness to work weekends and night hours
- Willingness and ability to drive van and car
- Ability to act as a mature role model for young adults
- Ability to recruit student-athletes
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, ability to get along well with diverse personalities, tactful, mature, and flexible
- Ability to deal with adversity, highs and lows
- Positive mental attitude
- Well organized
- Accountable to: Director of Athletics
- Accountable for: Assistant Tennis Coaches, work-study students, and student athletes.
- Advises, consults and coordinates with:
- Director of Athletics, SWA and Administrative Assistant.
- Director of Admissions and Admissions counselors
- Head Athletic Trainer
- Director of Cain Athletic Center
- Faculty and Deans
- Sports Information Director
- Equipment Manager
- Director of Dining Services
- Wellness Director
- Indoors in temperature-controlled environment
- Outdoors on tennis courts
- Occasional van and car driving responsibilities
- May occasionally require the incumbent to perform tasks that can expose you to blood or blood borne pathogens. Federal regulations require that the incumbent be offered Hepatitis B vaccine within 10 days of initial assignment and attend a training session prior to performing any exposure-prone tasks.
- Exempt status
- 40-70 week depending on season
- Weeknights and weekends as required
How to Apply:
When applying please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references through our online portal (https://washcoll.hrmdirect.com/employment/index.php). Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.