General Description: The Head Men’s & Women’s Tennis Coach is responsible for administering all aspects of competitive Division III men’s and women’s tennis programs, adhering to the guidelines and expectations that are set forth from Pacific Lutheran University, the Northwest Conference and the NCAA. In addition to the day-to-day coaching, the Head coach is responsible for the organization of scheduling, budget, travel coordination, game day staff management, equipment management, recruitment and retention of student-athletes, camp operations, and fundraising. The Head Coach will also supervise assistant coaches and student employees. Reports to the Director of Athletics.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Plan season competition schedule and coordinate travel.
- Lead practices with assistance from an assistant coaching staff, instruct skill development and techniques.
- Support academic success through team meetings and individual check ins with student- athletes.
- Develop practice plans.
- Oversee and assist in holistic personal development of student-athletes. Recruit, retain and graduate successful student-athletes.
- Coordinate fundraising efforts.
- Monitor and manage the budget and program resources.
- Secondary administrative role(s) within the Department of Athletics and Recreation. Maintain a high level of professionalism on and off the field toward student athletes, other coaches, parents, administrators, and members of the community.
- Maintain a clear understanding and adhere to the NCAA and Northwest Conference bylaws. Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Intercultural competency; ability to work with and desire to recruit individuals from diverse ackgrounds.
- Appreciation for the value of a liberal arts experience and the philosophy of DIII athletics. Passion and motivation to recruit and mentor student-athletes.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, with adherence to deadlines. Possess an outcomes-oriented approach to coaching.
- Professional integrity and a positive approach to conflict management/resolution.
- Commitment to compliance with all NCAA and Pacific Lutheran University rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of current and future sport trends.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 5 years coaching experience.
- CPR/First Aid certification required and may be obtained on the job.
- Valid driver’s license (Must have had a valid driver’s license for at least 2 years). Finalist candidates must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background checks,
- including a driving abstract check, and pass PLU’s internal Driver’s Certification Training.
- Master’s degree.
- Intercollegiate coaching experience.
- Experience with coaching software (i.e. Hudl, Synergy, Front Rush, Arms, etc.). Consideration given to professional memberships and committee work.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that will include evenings and weekends. Team travel that can include local, regional and national travel.
- Recruiting travel that can include local, regional and national travel.
Frequent walking, standing and overall physical activity as determined by the sport itself as well as through secondary administrative roles.
Hiring Range: $55,000-$60,000 per year, with excellent benefits.
Apply Online: https://employment.plu.edu/postings/7087