Serves as the Associate Head Coach to the Men’s & Women’s Tennis programs. In collaboration with the Head Coach, Men’s & Women’s Tennis, the Associate Head Coach is responsible for the organization, development, and leadership of the Men’s & Women’s Tennis program. The Associate Head Coach is critically involved in all aspects of the program, is given specific autonomy as directed by the Head Coach, and shares responsibilities with the Head Coach in key areas of the program such as recruiting, coaching tactics/strategies, scheduling and team travel, promotion of the team, practice planning, equipment purchase/inventory, and professional development.
- Take on primary role in day to day operations of the team and program as assigned by the Head Coach. Represent the Head Coach at meetings, practices, games, and other events as needed. May share responsibility with the Head Coach in establishing and enforcing team rules.
- Counsel students on general and sport-related matters. Refer students to appropriate sources, when necessary.
- Monitor academic progress of student-athletes; serve as a mentor to athletes helping to resolve academic and non-academic issues; be available to coaches and players before, during, and after practices, games, and events.
- Assist and direct as needed the planning and coaching of practice sessions and games as directed by Head Coach, which includes teaching advanced level skills and game strategies.
- Coach intercollegiate games as needed in the absence of the head coach.
- Direct the recruitment of student-athletes including but not limited to contacting high/prep school coaches to identify prospective recruits; evaluating all prospective recruits; preparing, distributing, updating, and maintaining accurate recruiting information; assisting the Admission Office with recruiting efforts as needed; and maximizing efficient use of e-mail, internet, phone, letters, and personal contact with current student athletes and recruits.
- Develop and maintain liaison relationship with Health Services, Residential Life, Student Activities, and other appropriate departments, in order to facilitate program development and management.
- Plan recruiting trips based on contacts; attend off-campus games for the purpose of evaluation.
- Scout opponents during playing season; prepare, plan, conduct, and evaluate practice sessions as required.
- Assumes additional secondary responsibilities in the department as required by the Senior Director of Athletics and Athletic Advancement.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as required.
Assistant Tennis Coaches (2-3)
Minimum Level of Education Required Bachelor’s Degree
Position Knowledge/Skills & Abilities Requirements:
- At least 2-4 years of previous coaching experience.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must obtain/maintain current certification in first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and automatic external defibrillator (AED) use.
- Computer proficiency.
- Compliance with all NCAA, NEWMAC, and Babson College rules.
- Contributes to a culture of inclusion and belongingness for all staff members, student-athletes, prospective student-athletes and stakeholders of the department.
- Commitment to working with a diverse student body, staff, and other constituents.
- Envisions and proposes new methods to perform tasks that support ET&A; takes thoughtful risks; and accepts new and ongoing initiatives, objectives, and solutions to gain sought-after results.
- Anticipates and embraces change; demonstrates willingness to achieve, acquire, and utilize new skills and challenging tasks; and is flexible in changing conditions.
- Regular physical exertion, walking, and exposure to weather are required; Light lifting required (50 pounds and under).
- Ability to work evenings and weekends and to travel in person and stay overnight (for one or more nights) for all regular and post-season games, conferences, and tournaments as identified and directed by the Head Coach.
- Must have had a valid unrestricted U.S. Driver’s License for one year, and maintain throughout employment an insurable (as determined by the College’s insurer’s criteria) or a satisfactory driving record; must successfully complete and pass the College’s vehicle training program within the first 60 days of employment; annual or more frequent review of employee’s driving record based on the College insurer’s criteria; and safety training as required by management.
- Babson College requires all Babson faculty and staff members authorized to work on our campuses or any other property owned or controlled by the College to verify that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19. We have extended our vaccination policy to require a COVID-19 booster shot for all eligible community members as well. Faculty and staff must provide booster vaccination information upon hire or within 21 days of becoming eligible for a booster (unless granted a medical accommodation or religious exemption). Requests for medical accommodation or religious exemption should be addressed directly to Human Resources.
Additional Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Six years of previous coaching experience preferred.
- Experience with software/online programs related to game film (i.e. Synergy, Hudl, etc.) and roster management (e.g., ARMS) preferred.