The Buffalo Tennis and Squash Club is a private, members only club which has a place among the most distinguished tennis clubs in the United States. The facility includes two stand-alone, cushioned acrylic indoor tennis courts and one outdoor court.
From 1923 to 1975, the Club hosted major amateur tennis tournaments (before the Open era of professional tennis). Participants included top world players such as Bill Tilden (1923, 1925 and 1928 winner); Billy Talbert; Vic Seixas; Tony Trabert; Dick Savitt; and Dennis Ralston.
The Tennis Professional will work to engage and strengthen the tennis community at the Club, fostering an inclusive environment and offering a variety of opportunities to learn and compete. Responsible for implementing and maintaining excellent service to achieve member satisfaction. Promote tennis opportunities to potential members. Act as a Club Ambassador to enhance the value of the Club. Reports directly to the General Manager.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Support and share in the Club’s vision for delivering high quality tennis programs for members of every age and ability
- Promote and foster the growth of tennis within the Club
- Introduce new members to tennis opportunities within the Club
- Evaluate skill level of new members through a complimentary hour lesson/hit
- Identify and connect players of similar skill level
- Develop and promote creative ways to engage and connect the tennis community
- Provide beginning through advanced instruction (private and group) for all player levels and ages
- Develop and promote tennis clinics, private lessons, group lessons, adult, junior and senior programs that encourage participation in the Club’s tennis activities
- Organize tournaments: planning, marketing and logistics; including annual Member-Guest and Member Only Tournaments and Championships
- Manage the Pro Shop, including promotion and sales of inventory and racquet stringing
- Maintain courts in a professional manner and ensure that the environment is safe for all those who use the facility.
- Work cooperatively with fellow staff to maintain a supportive, positive and fun work environment
- Be accessible to membership
- Demonstrate and teach sportsmanship and teamwork to create strong core values and a sense of community
- Enforce all club rules and regulations governing the use of the facility, equipment and other property
- Work cooperatively with Squash Professional to develop combined programs for the membership
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Incorporate safe work practices in job performance
- 2-3 years’ experience as a Head Club Professional or Assistant Head Club Professional
- USPTA certification required
- Strong teaching ability with all levels and ages of tennis players
- Eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Proven leadership and development skills
- Demonstrated enthusiasm, love of tennis and the desire to grow the sport
- Pickleball experience is not required but is a bonus
- Competitive Base Salary, commensurate with experience
- Lessons, clinics and camps
- Pro Shop Revenue
- Single Health Insurance, Disability, 401K Retirement Plan
- Two weeks paid vacation/5 paid holidays/5 personal/sick days
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter, resume and three professional references no later than March 15, 2023 to:
The Buffalo Tennis & Squash Club
c/o Denise Franklin, General Manager
314 Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14222
Also, feel free to contact the search committee Chairperson, Carolyn Schopp, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-359-1579.
The Buffalo Tennis & Squash Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.