OJAI, CA – As one of the most storied championships across all college tennis, the CCCAA Men’s and Women’s State Championships took place this past weekend from the Ojai Valley Tennis Club.
Bringing together the best teams and players from across the California Community College Athletic Association’s member conferences, the final weekend of competition from the CCCAA Tournament features the Men’s and Women’s Team State Championship, as well as the complete Men’s and Women’s Singles and Doubles Championships.
Beginning with the Team Championships, it was the College of the Desert who took home their third-straight CCCAA State Championship, sweeping American River in the Final. The Roadrunners capped off their dominate season, ending the year 18-1, with their only loss coming to Division I opponent San Diego.
In the Final, College of the Desert won all three doubles points to jump out to an early advantage. Then in singles, the Roadrunners continued to zoom past their competition, winning 6-2, 6-0 from the No. 2 and No. 3 positions to claim the championship.
From the Women’s Team Championship, American River handed Orange Coast their first loss of the season, winning 5-2 over the Pirates in the Final. Marking their first State Championship in program history, American River finished their season with a 14-3 record and closed out the season on an eight-match-win streak.
In the match, the Beavers went ahead early in doubles winning at the No. 2 position as well as the No. 3 position in an 8-7 (10-8) tiebreak. Ahead but not comfortable, the match score went to 3-2 in favor of the Beavers before they were able to close out the match with two three-set victories from the No. 1 and No. 2 positions.
Across the men’s singles and doubles competitions, the College of the Desert continued its dominance, sweeping all three titles at this year’s CCCAA Tournament. In singles, Joe Corse took down teammate Hernan Olivas 6-4, 6-0 in the final, while in doubles, Joe Corse and Eita Ishikawa beat Philemon Jabin and Jinsei Tajima (Ventura College) in a three-set thriller.
For the women, Nicole West of Santa Monica College took down Hana Moss (College of the Desert), 6-2, 1-6, 6-1 to claim the singles title. In doubles it was Emunah Daffon and Hana Moss (College of the Desert) who defeated Anna Kynclova and Lia Sarjveladze (LA Mission College) 3-6, 6-2, 10-5 to add another state title for the Roadrunners.
For full results from the entire CCCAA Men’s and Women’s Championships read below.
Men’s Team | Women’s Team | Men’s Singles | Women’s Singles | Men’s Doubles | Women’s Doubles
CCCAA Men’s Team State Championship
College of the Desert (18-1) def American River (14-4), 5-0
- 1. Corse/Ishikawa (COD) def. Nelson/Hill (ARC), 8-4
- 2. Quiroz/Shaw (COD) def. Lin/Patrick Wall (ARC), 8-5
- 3. Rabtsevich/Caolie (COD) def. Perdue/Bilbao (ARC), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- 1. Ravi Nelson (ARC) up vs. Eita Ishikawa (COD) 6-5, DNF
- 2. Hernan Quiroz (COD) up vs. Lenny Lin (ARC), 6-2, 0-1, DNF
- 3. Joseph Corse (COD) def. Parker Perdue (ARC), 6-2, 6-0
- 4. Nathan Caolie (COD) def. Spencer Hill (ARC), 6-2, 6-0
- 5. Matthew Shaw (COD) up vs. Shane Timmons (ARC), 6-3, 3-2, DNF
- 6. Ian Rabtsevich (COD) up vs. Julian Bilbao (ARC), 6-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 3, 4
CCCAA Women’s Team State Championship
American River (14-3) def Orange Coast College (21-1), 5-3
- 1. Koitka/Veltri (OCC) def. Montaruli/ Escalante (ARC), 8-6
- 2. Pinkerton/White (ARC) def. Smith/Sipiora (OCC), 8-5
- 3. Hernandez/Reddick (ARC) def. Nelson/Pascua (OCC), 9-8 (10-8)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
- 1. Carla Montaruli (ARC) def. Logan Koitka (OCC), 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
- 2. Davina Escalante (ARC) def. Camila Nelson (OCC), 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
- 3. Maiah White (ARC) def. Sedona Smith (OCC), 6-3, 6-4
- 4. Madeleine Veltri (OCC) def. Bella Hernandez (ARC), 6-0, 6-1
- 5. Olivia Sipiora (OCC) def. Mandi Pinkerton (ARC), 6-3, 6-0
- 6. Leanne Pascua (OCC) up vs. Lane Reddick (ARC), 7-5, 5-6, DNF
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2, 3, 1
CCCAA Men’s Singles Championship
Joe Corse (College of the Desert) def Hernan Olivas (College of the Desert), 6-4, 6-0
CCCAA Women’s Singles Championship
Nicole West (Santa Monica College) def Hana Moss (College of the Desert), 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
CCCAA Men’s Doubles Championship
Joe Corse/Eita Ishikawa (College of the Desert) def Philemon Jabin/Jinsei Tajima (Ventura College), 4-6, 6-2, 10-4
CCCAA Women’s Doubles Championship
Emunah Daffon/Hana Moss (College of the Desert) def Anna Kynclova/Lia Sarjveladze (LA Mission College) 3-6, 6-2, 10-5