Position: Assistant Coach
Unit/Sport: Women’s Tennis
Reports to: Head Coach
FLSA status: Exempt
Updated: May 2023
The Kansas Women’s Tennis Assistant Coach will be responsible for helping to create a tennis team that competes successfully at the Big 12 and national level both athletically and academically. Under the direction of the Head Coach for Women’s Tennis, the Assistant Coach
is responsible for assisting with all aspects of Women’s Tennis including coaching, developing, motivating, and evaluating academically and athletically qualified student-athletes all in compliance with NCAA, Big 12, and Kansas Athletics policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities of all Positions at Kansas Athletics:
- Adhere to University, Big 12 Conference, Kansas Athletics, and NCAA policies and procedures;
- Maintain knowledge of departmental activities, sports schedules, and procedures;
- Foster cooperative working relationships with fellow staff members within the Department;
- Support the athletics department goals and philosophies as described by the Director of Athletics and work to achieve and uphold the department’s mission statement and core values;
- Maintain a positive attitude toward performing job duties and in working with other staff members;
- Exhibit professional decorum at all times while representing Kansas Athletics, including routine events and meetings that occur outside of the office and on the road;
- Maintain the confidentiality of all information obtained while an employee of Kansas Athletics including all private, confidential, or sensitive information and ensuring compliance with FERPA, HIPAA, and other applicable regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Position:
- Exhibit Division I knowledge and expertise in the sport of women’s tennis;
- Identify and recruit academically qualified and athletically talented prospective student-athletes;
- Assist Head Coach with conducting practice sessions and regular-season contests;
- Assist with individual player skill development, techniques and tactics, and team performance development;
- Assist with match analysis and video breakdown of student-athletes and opponents;
- Assist with ensuring compliance adherence with appropriate administrative processes pertaining to team travel, budget, student-athlete eligibility and academic progress;
- Responsible for knowledge of and full commitment to compliance with all NCAA, Big 12, University, and Kansas Athletics rules and regulations;
- Assist in the full academic and social development of student-athletes in coordination with Academic Support and other support staff;
- Assist with developing, implementing, and enforcing team rules;
- Participate in fundraising efforts, as appropriate and assigned by the sport supervisor;
- Attend and participate in department, compliance, and coaches’ meetings and all other meetings as requested by the Sport Administrator and/or Director of Athletics;
- Assist in the coordination with appropriate Communications staff to provide pertinent information to media outlets and in preparing related web-based and written materials;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Coach, Director of Athletics, or their designee.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university;
- Minimum of one year demonstrated coaching experience in the sport of tennis at the
- Division 1 level, or former high-level tennis athlete experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to students’ athletic and academic success;
- Ability to maintain positive professional demeanor and the ability to work effectively with various constituencies including prospective student-athletes, current student-athletes, their families, the general public, staff, administrators, and alumni;
- Demonstrated exceptional analytical ability, problem-solving skills and solutions focused approach;
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings, weekends, or holidays as needed during peak game and recruiting seasons.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA and Conference rules and regulations;
- Match analysis experience and exceptional knowledge as it relates to tennis rules and regulations;
- Knowledge and experience in recruiting student-athletes internationally and domestically at a collegiate level.
This job operates in both a professional office environment and outside at tennis-related events, including inclement weather. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers and various digital devices, including, but not limited to: cell phone, printer, copy machine, and other related devices. This job requires flexibility and adaptability in schedule and the ability to perform job related duties on short notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. This position may require frequent bending, moving, lifting, and
carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; and working in all weather conditions.
Travel is expected for this position.
Hours of Work:
This is a part-time position. Days and hours of work will vary based on the needs of the tennis program and as job duties demand. Early morning, evening and weekend work maybe required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.