LAKE NONA, FL – Just a year after running the table for their first NCAA Championship since 2017, the University of Virginia men’s tennis team will once again stay atop of the Division I Men’s Tennis world, taking down Ohio State to claim the program’s sixth National Championship and the second in as many years.
Following a similar script to when they won in 2022, the Cavaliers once again started the year on a slow note before turning a new page after the ITA National Team Indoor Championships where they would go on to win 22 straight matches to close out the season and avenge three of their four losses along the way.
In the National Championship match, the Cavaliers jumped out to an early lead quickly. On court one, Inaki Montes and William Woodall (No. 58) won 6-3 over Robert Cash and Justin Boulais (No. 21) before the match was closed out with a 6-2 win on court two which provided Virginia with a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
Riding the momentum from doubles, the top three positions in the Virginia lineup all ensured that the Cavaliers would be celebrating once again at the end of the day, winning in straight sets to take the 4-0 victory over the Buckeyes. Inaki Montes delivered the clinch from court two as he won 6-4, 6-2 over No. 11 Cannon Kingsley to secure the victory.
Virginia is one of just three men’s tennis programs since 2000 to successfully defend their title; University of Georgia (2007-08), University of Southern California (2009-12), and Virginia (2015-17, 2022-23).
For complete match results continue reading below:
- #58 Inaki Montes/William Woodall (UVA) def. #21 Robert Cash/Justin Boulais (OSU) 6-3
- Chris Rodesch/J vd Schulenburg (UVA) def. #16 Andrew Lutschaunig/James Trotter (OSU) 6-2
- Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Ryan Goetz/Alexander Kiefer (UVA) 6-3
- #9 Chris Rodesch (UVA) def. #24 Justin Boulais (OSU) 6-4, 6-2
- #26 Inaki Montes (UVA) def. #11 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) 6-4, 6-2
- #49 J vd Schulenburg (UVA) def. #22 JJ Tracy (OSU) 6-2, 6-1
- #87 Ryan Goetz (UVA) vs. #34 James Trotter (OSU) 6-4, 3-6, unfinished
- Alexander Kiefer (UVA) vs. #41 Alexander Bernard (OSU) 2-6, 6-3, 2-0, unfinished
- Mans Dahlberg (UVA) vs. Jack Anthrop (OSU) 6-7 (4-7), 0-1, unfinished