Tennis for America
A year of service program designed for former college tennis players
The Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) in conjunction with AmeriCorps VISTA and nationally recognized National Junior Tennis & Learning (NJTL) organizations is working together to help tackle poverty through tennis in the United States. Tennis For America VISTA Fellows are placed throughout the country to utilize their elite tennis backgrounds and academic credentials to add significant value to the organizations who are making tremendous impacts with their communities. The first year of this project was successfully launched in June 2020 with eight VISTA’s working at four host sites in CA, IL, NY and MD.
Please click on the links below to learn about the VISTAs at each of the four sites.
Partner with us.
Who are Tennis For America VISTA Fellows?
Tennis For America Fellows have demonstrated excellence both on and off the tennis court. They believe in serving their country and making a difference in the lives of other people. These fellows are curious by nature and have an entrepreneurial spirit. They seek challenges and recognize that any difficulties they face are simply life lessons. They tolerate ambiguity, change, and take initiative when needed within a team setting.
Why should I consider applying to be a Tennis For America Fellow?
The ITA believes that tennis can lead the way for other intercollegiate sports to create a national non-military year of service program. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play a major role in the establishment of a program that could go on to impact thousands of lives in a truly meaningful way. Whether you want to learn more about the nonprofit world, understand the tennis industry, make life-long connections, or you just want to give back to the sport and country that made it possible for you to play college tennis, we promise this will be a unique and challenging experience like no other. Applications for the second group of Tennis for America Fellows will open on November 16, 2020. There will be a four step application process. The first step is to fill out an initial application HERE. If you meet the criteria you will be asked to provide further details before a formal interview with a host site can be scheduled. If you are successful with the first three steps of this process the final step will be to apply to AmeriCorps to become a VISTA. Learn more about the VISTA program. The VISTA program is only available to U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents. You can fill out an initial application form HERE.
What are the requirements to apply?
- At least 21 years old by June 1, 2020
- Member of a competitive tennis team at NCAA D I, D II, D III or NAIA ITA member program for a minimum of two years (current or former Tennis on Campus team members and Professional Tennis Management program graduates are eligible to apply)
- U.S. citizen or national or lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder)
- Available to a full 12 months of service – start dates are to be confirmed, but it is likely that start dates will fall somewhere between June & July 2021
- Able to pass all necessary background checks and clearances to work with children under the age of 18.
- The application period will run from November 16, 2020 to TBD. If you have any questions before you apply please contact Dave Mullins.
Please direct any questions you have about the Tennis For America Program to Dave Mullins, ITA Managing Director for Community Service & Coach Empowerment at email@example.com.