Tennis for America
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to obtain hands-on experience in a wide array of areas which will broaden your horizons, connections, professional skills, and your outlook on the world.
The Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) in conjunction with six nationally recognized partners, will work together in the years to come to help tackle poverty through tennis in the United States. At least fourteen college tennis alumni will be placed throughout the country from June 1st, 2020 to May 31st, 2021* to utilize their elite tennis backgrounds and academic credentials to add significant value to the organizations who are making tremendous impacts within their communities.
If you would like to be considered as one of the inaugural Tennis For America VISTA fellows we encourage you to read more about this exciting pilot project below and submit your application.
* Dates for Tenacity, Boston will be August 15th – June 30th, 2021. To apply for Tenacity please click here.
Partner with us.
Who are Tennis For America Fellows?
Tennis For America Fellows have demonstrated excellence both on and off the tennis court. They believe in serving their country and making a difference in the lives of other people. These fellows are curious by nature and have an entrepreneurial spirit. They seek challenges and recognize that any difficulties they face are simply life lessons. They tolerate ambiguity, change, and take initiative when needed within a team setting.
Why should I consider applying to be a Tennis For America Fellow?
The ITA believes that tennis can lead the way for other intercollegiate sports to create a national non-military year of service program. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play a major role in the establishment of a program that could go on to impact thousands of lives in a truly meaningful way. Whether you want to learn more about the nonprofit world, understand the tennis industry, make life-long connections, or you just want to give back to the sport and country that made it possible for you to play college tennis, we promise this will be a unique and challenging experience like no other. Check out additional details here:
The ITA has secured AmeriCorps VISTA funding from the federal government to pay a monthly living allowance to Tennis For America Fellows. Please note that you will need to apply through the ITA application process before moving on to applying to become an AmeriCorps VISTA. The ITA will walk you through the AmeriCorps VISTA application process should you be selected. Learn more about the VISTA program.
List of Benefits
- VISTA Living Allowance – The value dependent upon city location. (Range $1069.16 to $1720.00 per month.)
- Each VISTA member gets to choose an end of service benefit: A cash payout of $1,800 or an education award of $6,195
- Relocation Stipend – $750 + .24 cent per mile for those relocating more than 50 miles from partnering site
- Mileage assistance or Bus/Train monthly pass
- Orientation/Professional Development – Phoenix, Arizona (June 1-5)
- Continuing Education – ITA College Coaches Convention, Naples, Florida (December 2020), with all expenses paid by ITA
- Graduation Ceremony – US Open (August 2021), with all expenses paid by ITA
- Individual Mentor
- The development of a strong network of Tennis For America colleagues to offer support during the year of service and for many years afterwards
- Exposure to and experience with critical 21st century skills, including: non-profit strategy, teaching, problem solving and communication skills
- Networking opportunities and collaboration with a large range of stakeholders.
What are the requirements to apply?
- Graduating from an ITA Member Institution in May, 2020 or have graduated form an ITA member institution anytime in 2019 or 2018
- At least 21 years old by June 1st, 2020
- Member of a competitive tennis team at NCAA D I, D II, D III or NAIA ITA member program for a minimum of two years (current or former Tennis on Campus team members and Professional Tennis Management program graduates are eligible to apply)
- U.S. citizen or national or lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder)
- Available for a full year of service from June 1st, 2020 to May, 31st, 2021 or August 15th, 2020 to June 30th, 2021 (Tenacity, Boston)
- Able to pass all necessary background checks and clearances to work with children under the age of 18.
- Applications are open from January 2nd – February 29th, 2020
- Tele-conference interviews will take place from March 4th – 13th
- Official placement offers will be announced on March 16th
- Those offered places will have until March 22nd to accept or decline the offer
- VISTA applications will be due by April 17th, 2020 – ITA to help with VISTA application process
- Successful applicants will be required to arrive in Tempe, Arizona no later than 5 pm on Monday, June 1st, 2020 to report for their orientation
- VISTA’s transported to assigned locations on Friday, June 5th
*The requirements and benefits for the Tenacity program will differ slightly. Please note that Tenacity also has open enrollment so it is not necessary to apply by February 29th, 2020. However, we do still encourage you to apply as soon as possible.If you have any questions about the Tenacity program please email Cathy AuGuste at email@example.com