Tennis for America
Apply today for a life changing year-of-service program designed for former college tennis players
The Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) – in conjunction with AmeriCorps VISTA and nationally recognized USTA National Junior Tennis & Learning (NJTL) organizations – is working to help tackle poverty through tennis in the United States. Tennis For America VISTA Fellows are placed throughout the country to utilize their elite tennis backgrounds and academic credentials to add significant value to the organizations who are making tremendous impacts with their communities. The first year of this project was successfully launched in June 2020 with eight VISTA’s working at four host sites in CA, IL, NY and MD.
The third year will place VISTAs at the NYJTL in the Bronx, New York; Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, Maryland; BYTE in Oakland California; Inspiring Children Foundation in Las Vegas, Nevada; New Hytes in New Haven, Connecticut; AdvantageCLE in Cleveland, Ohio; Youth Tennis San Diego in San Diego, California; Portland Tennis & Education in Portland, Oregon; and TeamFAME in Newport, Rhode Island.
Who are Tennis For America VISTA Fellows?
Tennis For America Fellows have demonstrated excellence both on and off the tennis court. They believe in serving their country and making a difference in the lives of other people. These fellows are curious by nature and have an entrepreneurial spirit. They seek challenges and recognize that any difficulties they face are simply life lessons. They tolerate ambiguity, change, and take initiative when needed within a team setting.
Why should I consider applying to be a Tennis For America Fellow?
The ITA believes that tennis can lead the way for other intercollegiate sports to create a national non-military year of service program.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play a major role in the establishment of a program that could go on to impact thousands of lives in a truly meaningful way. Whether you want to learn more about the nonprofit world, understand the tennis industry, make life-long connections, or you just want to give back to the sport and country that made it possible for you to play college tennis, we promise this will be a unique and challenging experience like no other.
Applications for the third group of Tennis For America VISTA Fellows will open from October 18th, 2021 to April 1st, 2022 (or until all positions have been filled). You can apply HERE. Successful applicants will receive an email from the ITA informing them of the next steps in the process which will include an interview with one of the Tennis For America partnering site supervisors. This program is supported by AmeriCorps VISTA and the final step of the application process will include the submission of an application with AmeriCorps to their VISTA program. The ITA will guide successful applicants through every step of the process. The Tennis For America VISTA program is only available to U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents.
Where will the Tennis For America Fellows serve?
- Junior Tennis Champions Center | College Park, Maryland
- NYJTL | South Bronx, New York
- BYTE | Oakland, California
- TeamFAME | Newport, Rhode Island
- Advantage Cleveland | Cleveland, Ohio
- Inspiring Children Foundation | Las Vegas, Nevada
- Youth Tennis San Diego | San Diego, California
- Portland Tennis & Education | Portland, Oregon
- New Hytes | New Haven, Connecticut
What are the requirements to apply?
- At least 21 years old by June 1, 2022
- Member of a competitive tennis team at NCAA DI, DII, DIII or NAIA ITA member program for a minimum of one year. However, members of USTA Tennis on Campus team, PTM graduates and former high school tennis players interested in serving will be provided strong consideration.
- U.S. citizen or national or lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder)
- Available for a full 12 months of service – start dates will be in June, July or August, 2022
- Able to pass all necessary background checks and clearances to work with children under the age of 18
- The application period will open October 18th and will remain open until all 12 positions have been filled. If you have any questions before you apply please contact Dave Mullins.
Please direct any questions you have about the Tennis For America Program to Dave Mullins, ITA COO at firstname.lastname@example.org.