Zina Garrison Academy
About Zina Garrison Academy
The Zina Garrison Academy was founded 28 years ago in 1992 by tennis legend and Houston local Zina Garrison. Zina’s goal is to offer Houston’s youth the same opportunity she was afforded as a young tennis player – an escape, an opportunity to learn, and the desire to give back. ZGA believes tennis serves as a gateway, teaching young people social, emotional, and physical skills to thrive as members of our community and society. The Zina Garrison Academy (ZGA) provides 45 weeks of free programming each year for all young people in the Houston area. ZGA not only provides world-class tennis instruction, but also provides college preparatory classes, wellness and nutrition lessons, interactive garden instruction, ACE training, and more.
Be a VISTA at ZGA
- Form partnerships with local universities and high schools to find tennis volunteers to help teach and coach the children in the ACE program.
- Expand current spring tennis program for 2022 with skills based on the USTA Foundation’s Net Generation Red Ball Curriculum for two local schools.
- Create Brand Awareness for a mobile tennis program throughout the Houston surrounding cities.
- Develop a partnership with a local Aquatic garden,including a STEM curriculum.
- Work with the ZGA Alumni and fundraising committee to create various scholarships for current participants such as (college,tournament travel)
- Create and implement a fundraising plan, with ZGA’s Fundraising Committee, and work to enhance our current annual events.
- High level of tennis experience
- Coaching/instructing experience
- Interest in fundraising and our supplemental programs (wellness and education)
Location: MacGregor Park, 5225 Calhoun Road, Houston, TX 77021
Supervisor: Yolanda Sadberry, firstname.lastname@example.org
Weekly Schedule: Monday through Friday, 12PM – 7PM
Housing Provided: No
Ground Transportation Stipend: No
Dedicated Workspace Provided: ZGA Headquarters
Monthly Living Allowance: $1027.88
Relocation Stipend: $750 (those living more than 50 miles from organization)
Post Service AmeriCorps Benefit: Segal Education Award ($6000) or Cash Benefit ($1800)
Program Director at ZGA